Friday, March 27, 2009

British English Vs American English

Hi Friends,

How are you all?
It's been really a long time since I wrote any post.

If I say I was very busy, it won't be 100% true. Somehow, I just wasn't able to write anything.

Today I will tell you about my experiences with English.

When I was in India, I knew that there is a difference between British English (which Indians follow) and the American English, but I was not aware that American English is a totally different language. One of my friends here, says that it is a language known as American, and if you are in America you should speak American not English.


There is a lot of difference in pronunciation and spellings.

The recent spelling difference I came to know was:

Jewellery (British English) and Jewelry (American).
I wrote the British Spelling in my assignment and lost some marks because of that.

I knew about some common spellings like:
color and colour.

If you say dustbin, no one has an idea what you are saying, instead you must say garbage can, or trash can.

It's still a new world for me.

My husband and I are learning.

Will keep you posted.
bye.

2 comments:

The Retired One said...

Hi,
I just saw that you joined by blog as a "follower'. Thanks so much!!!

There are a lot of spellings and expressions that must seem strange to you!
We have had three exchange students and they said they never learned "conversational" English while in school and only learned it well when they came to live here. (Two were from Spain and one was from Belgium).

Sophiagurl said...

Hi Sweet Girl! looks like you're getting immersed into a new world :) it seems strange at first but I am confident that you'll get the hang of it.

How are you?