Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sister's Day

Yesterday on 5th August was a big festival of India called "Raksha Bandhan" or "Rakhi"."Raksha Bandhan" means bond of protection. I like this festival since I was a child. This festival is celebration of bond of love between a brother and a sister. You can call it "Sister's day" as on this day a sister gets lots of gifts from her brother.

On this day sister ties rakhi (a holy thread) on the wrist of her brother. she then feeds sweets to him and the brother gives her gifts. It is not necessary that you can tie rakhi to your brother by birth. Any person can be adopted as a brother by tying the rakhi on his wrist.

I have one brother (by birth) and one adopted brother. I got my adopted brother after coming to US. He is a colleague of my husband and he used to come to meet us often and helped my husband a lot when he was alone here. When I came here we developed a good understanding. So, I decided to make him my brother. I asked him that would he mind being my brother and he said "No". So, Last year on raksha-bandhan I tied him the rakhi amd adopted him as my brother.

This year on occasion of raksha-bandhan I sent my rakhi to my real brother along with sweets and I invited my adopted brother to dinner and tied him rakhi.

Yesterday, I was so busy that I didn't even get time to write a post for my blog. My hubby's sister had send rakhi for him and me. In the morning after offering our prayers to God we tied rakhi ourselves. Then I made a good lunch and then talked to my sisters and brother on phone. Prepared the dinner. we had our dinner and talked for a long time and after my brother left we were so tired that we decided to go to sleep.

No comments: