Sunday, August 23, 2009

Husband's Day = Teej

Today is a big day for all the married Hindu women in India. As today is an Indian festival known as "Haritalika Teej". Women dedicate this day to their husbands. On this day women fast all day and night for the well being and long lives of their husbands. This fasting is not a normal fasting where one can eat fruits etc. but this fasting means no food, nothing, not a single drop of water. It is a very tough fast and women do this every year on this day.

Before sunrise women drink water and eat fruits and then put anything in their mouths next morning only. So, it's a 24 hours fast. In the morning of the fast, women get dressed traditionally wearing saree and ornaments and color their feet with sacred red color liquid.



After getting dressed they offer their prayers to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati and ask them for welfare and long life of their husbands. The next morning when women finish their fasting they give away clothes and food to needy.


Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati


I have also kept this fast. This is my second fast as I got married one and half years ago. I have not put anything in my mouth since 4 a.m. It's Sunday today, so my husband is at home and he is very worried for me. He told me that "Don't worry about me. I can prepare food for myself today." He is really very caring and keeps asking me,"Are you okay?". He is really very good and I think I can keep fasting all my life to see him happy.

2 comments:

Grampy said...

That is such a sweet thing to do. I am learning so much about the different cultures. I thank you for you enlightenment.
Have a good day.

Joei said...

It's nice to know that from you, It helps me learn your culture well, oh.. by the way thanks for tagging me.. I'll post mine on tuesday.

have a nice day

-joei